Respecting yourself is the first step of the most important journey in your life. Self-acceptance. Having self-respect means knowing your own worth and valuing yourself as a human being. Embracing your extraordinary and peculiar nature and following your own path in life regardless of what others have to say about it.
In other words, it is falling in love with yourself over and over again.
If you reached that stage, congratulations. I know that it must have taken you a lot of time and a lot of effort to get there, but you are on the right track.
Here are 10 things you are no longer doing because you have self-respect now:
1. You are done accepting shallow apologies that are not followed by actual actions. Anyone can say ‘I’m sorry’, but only a kind, righteous and fair person can really get out of their way to make it up to you.
2. Listening to other people complaining about their lives. There’s no more idly nodding at people who seek attention or participating in conversations that you don’t care about. You are done wasting your time on others.
3. Justifying your actions to other people. You are done explaining yourself who you are dating, what you are eating, why you aren’t married yet etc. Other people don’t need to know how your life is going. After all, they don’t have a say in your decisions. You are the only one responsible for your life.
4.Going out when you don’t feel like it. Making excuses or lying to people just so they don’t get mad at you. You are done giving a damn about what others think. The only thing on your priority list is your wellbeing. If you don’t feel like socializing, you just don’t do it. Simple as that.
5. Picking up the phone or answering texts right away. All of that is in the past now. You are no longer putting the needs of others before your own. If you don’t have the energy or time to listen to other people’s problems, you just don’t do it. Because at the end of the day, only you know what’s best for you.
6. Giving a damn about what others are expecting from you. You are done trying to convince everyone to like you. You no longer care what others think of you because you don’t owe them anything. The only thing that you are now focused on is your self-growth.
7. You are done giving out second chances to people who didn’t even deserve the first one. You are done engaging in toxic relationships. You are done being the naïve, kind, and forgiving person you once were. You are done giving yourself to people who only consider you an option. From now on, every person in your life will get the treatment that they deserved. Nothing more, nothing less.
8. Playing the helpless victim that desperately needs to be saved by others. You’ve learned that pitying yourself will never help you heal your wounds and get better. It will only make you more attractive to greedy predators who love to feed off the weakness of others.
9. You are no longer blaming others for your own personal issues. No more lashing out on people for no reason. No more being mean to everyone because you can’t control your temper. You’ve learned your lesson. Your reaction to something says more about you than the situation itself.
10. More importantly, you are done making excuses for not pursuing your biggest dreams. You are no longer afraid of failing. Your insecurities are no longer an obstacle. Marching towards your goals never felt easier. You are finally where you always wanted to be. On your way to fulfilling your dreams.