We all want to find love and be in a loving and caring relationship with someone whose eyes sparkle when they see us and heart flutter when they touch us, but sometimes finding that type of connection is not as easy as childhood fairytales make it seem.
Sometimes we get lucky, but sometimes we don’t. And it’s not because there are no normal people out there. Sometimes, the only person standing in our own way is no one but ourselves. This can be a pretty hard thing to swallow, especially if you’ve been through a more than a few painful heartbreaks and always blamed the other person for everything you went through.
But here’s the thing. The only way you’ll ever overcome your issue and ultimately find love is if you first come face to face with the truth and get to the root of your problem.
Why am I still single? is one of the first questions you need to ask yourself if you want to find a solution to your eternal dilemma. The rest will follow up as you slowly start to open up…
Below I’ve written some of the seven most common mistakes we often make when it comes to love:
1. We try to change people. This is one of the worst possible things that you can do in a relationship. And perhaps the very reason why all of your relationships end up the same. You cannot force someone to fit your mold if they don’t fit in there. You have two choices. Accept them or let them go.
2. We try to lock things in too soon in the relationship. As much as it feels nice to know where you stand in life and know where your relationship is headed, you cannot always rush things when it comes to love. You cannot always go on a limb with your feelings. Don’t let your emotions get to you. Think with your brain first, then go with your heart.
3. We become selfish and forget about our partner’s needs. Admit it. We’ve all done this. We’ve all been self-centered and inconsiderate about other people’s feelings at some point in our lives. We’ve all forgot how important compassion is in a relationship. And as a result, we’ve felt what is like abandoned. You may have not realized what you are doing while you were doing it, but let me tell you, it can’t get more obvious than this. Your behavior may indeed be one of the reasons you can’t find love. And the sooner you realize that, the better.
4. We see everything as a competition. It’s really annoying to be with someone who does this. I know it from my own personal experience. Once upon a time, I had a boyfriend who had the need to always compete with other people. The urge to outdo everyone and be superior over others was the reason I decided to break it off after three whole months. His vanity was my absolute deal-breaker.
5. We attract toxic people into our lives. Again, the one person responsible for the people in your life is you, no one else. Not them, not your parents, not your friends. Only you. The fact that you are attracting those types of people is a sign that there is something that you have to learn from them in order to move on from that phase in life. Make sure you do.
6. We put ourselves out there too early. We put our hearts on our sleeves and we do everything that we can to make that person fall in love with us. Without waiting to get to know that person first. Without doing a background check on them. Without playing smart. We rush things, get hurt, and then blame everyone else but ourselves.
7. We forget how worthy we are. And last, but not least, one of the most common mistakes that we often do in a relationship. We forget our value. It pains me when I see this. It really breaks my heart when I see loving and generous individuals stuck in relationships with toxic, energy-sucking vampires. People who are condemned to a miserable life. People who said yes to a mediocre life because they never knew their true value. People who always thought that something is always better than nothing.
So, do you have anything to add to this list? More importantly, do you relate to any of this? If so, what have you done to change your behavior? Let us know, we would love to hear more about your experiences.