I believe we are all familiar with the term sexting. Heck, I am certain that at some point in our lives, we’ve all done it. I mean, if you are trying to tell me that you haven’t, you are probably lying.
Still, for those of you who have never heard of this term before, sexting is the act of sending and receiving sexual content via mobile phone. So, you see… There is a pretty big difference between texting someone and sexting them. In fact, that difference determines your closeness with that person. And of course, your overall loyalty to the people you love.
So, here’s what bothers me.
There are people who couldn’t care less about that significant line between sexting and texting. They live inside their bubbles thinking that sexting isn’t cheating without giving a single damn how inconsiderate and painful that is.
Let’s get one thing straight. Sexting with your spouse is clearly not cheating. Sexting with a person you are casually hanging out with is not considered cheating either. But being in a relationship and sexting with someone who isn’t your significant other, is absolutely cheating.
Say what you will, but cheating isn’t always about getting physical with someone.
Here are 10 reasons why sexting is definitely cheating:
1. It makes you desire the person that you are talking to more than the person you are actually with. It makes you fantasize about this person in reality. Which is one thing if that person is an imaginary crush. Fantasizing about someone who is pretty much real and on top of that, sexting them, is a pure form of cheating.
2. It makes you hurt your partner’s feelings. The possibility of someone (your loved one) getting hurt is the number one reason, in my opinion why sexting is actually cheating. Let’s be honest, if it wasn’t harmful, you wouldn’t hide it.
3. It makes you attached to someone else. When you fall down this rabbit hole and form attachment with the person you are sexting with, you forget about your partner’s feelings. And we all know how big of an issue attachment is. In this case, it is dangerous. Once this happens, it becomes very difficult to end the affair and say goodbye to that person.
4. It builds great barriers between you and your partner. When sexting becomes a part of your everyday life and you become more and more attached to that person, it begins to create walls between you and your partner. You change. Your priorities suddenly shift. Your communication is not the same as it once was. And it becomes obvious that you are doing something behind their back.
5. It is the first step that often leads to an actual physical act of cheating. Let’s be honest. The deeper you get, the more curious you become about finding out more. Add an emotional attachment to that and you are on the train to Cheat city. That is why sexting is usually what leads people to engage in actual, sexual activities.
6. It creates unhealthy expectations about the relationship you are in. It is a fantasy. The one that lures you in, plays with your emotions and forces you to forget about your partner’s feelings. And as the sexting continues, it only impacts the expectations you have in your relationship, especially the ones concerning the sexual life you and your partner have.
7. It distracts you from reality. What you do is far from real. It’s done behind a screen. That is what makes you feel easier to say or do things that you probably wouldn’t do in real life. These things make people feel powerful And, you have to admit it… it gets pretty difficult to stop something that makes you feel invincible. Something that is easy to hide and get away with.
8. It builds great distrust between you and your partner. When you hide something from your partner, you begin with lies. You do your best to cover the ugly truth from them. But deep down you are aware of the possible consequences. That makes you paranoid. And as a result, it forces you to think that they are doing the exact same things.
9. It’s not about the content that you share, but rather about how it makes you feel. Let’s be honest. It is never about the subject of the conversation; it is more about the emotions that the act itself triggers. Those feelings that make you come back for more are what makes sexting cheating. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never been physical with that person if they are all you can think about.
10. It forces you to hide things from your partner, which is by definition considered cheating. It’s not rocket science. It really is that simple. If you feel the need to hide something from your partner, then it is obvious that you shouldn’t be doing that. I’ve been on both sides of the story, and trust me… It’s ugly either way.