How often do you worry about things that you have no power to change?
Wait, I know. Too often.
At least that was my reality a few months ago.
I used to spend hours worrying about why a random dude yelled at me. I used to beat myself up for not going to the gym as regularly as I wanted. I used to cry at night wondering why I can’t meet a normal person and fall in love. I used to give a damn about what others think of me. I used to bend over backward to make everybody like me.
I used to suffer.
It was truly exhausting to be inside my own skin. But, as years went by, my experiences taught me that some of those things I spent days and months stressing over were simply not worth the struggle. It dawned on me that my wasted years could never ever be returned. So, the older I got, the more I started realizing that my mental and physical health will always be more important than anything else. And just like that, I stopped worrying.
I stopped wasting my precious energy and time on things I cannot control. And believe it or not, that was the first step towards my destination happiness.
Here are 6 helpful methods that are guaranteed to bring you your much-needed peace and joy in life:
1. Accept that life is unpredictable and instead of avoiding the changes, learn from them. Understand that its beauty lies exactly in its unpredictability and uncertainty. Not knowing what’s around the corner is exactly what stimulates us and inspires us to keep on going. Do your best but always be prepared for the worst. Don’t let changes scare you. They are here to help you grow.
2. Be open about your issues and talk to your loved ones about everything that troubles your soul. Talking openly about it will help you get your thoughts straight and get rid of the emotional baggage that is weighing you down.3. Start exercising. Working out is not only beneficial for your physical health, but also for your mental wellbeing. Exercising stimulates all kinds of changes in the brain, such as neurogenesis and the release of the happy chemicals otherwise called endorphins that have the power to boost your mood and relieve the tension in your body.
4. Learn to enjoy the present moment. Don’t waste your life stressing about the past or anticipating the future. Focus your energy on the things that are happening in this exact moment. In a nutshell, practice mindfulness.
5. Make time for the things that you love doing and dive deep inside the realm of your colorful imagination. 85% of the things that we worry about don’t even happen anyways. Why would you waste that much energy and time on something so worthless? Instead of making your life miserable, focus yourself on your passions. Let go of the thought inside your head and start doing something that you’ve loved. Something that nurtures your mind and feeds your soul.
6. Write down all of your worries. You would be surprised how much this helps. If nothing else soothes your mind and you can’t seem to stop your brain from overthinking, try writing down every little thought that pops into your mind. Believe me, once you see some of your issues on paper, you will realize how irrational and silly they actually sound.
Latest posts by Stephanie Reeds (see all)
- Love Doesn’t Always Mean Fighting Against All Odds: Sometimes, Love Means Leaving - 05/29/2019
- The One Who Is Meant To Be With You Will Do These 10 Things Differently Than Your Ex Partners - 05/29/2019
- 7 Things You Should Do If You Want To Strengthen Your Love And Become A Better Partner - 05/29/2019