Love. It really makes the world go round. At least that is what I like to believe. Without love, we are nothing. Without it, humanity could never survive.
But here’s what. There is something that has been bothering me for quite a while, and I am just going to say it. Do we know what true love really means or we just throw around those three words for the sake of it?
Because I get the feeling that nowadays, we have no idea what it really means to truly love someone. We fall in love with our idea of a person, but when it comes to accepting the darkest corners of their soul, we are suddenly lost. We don’t know what to do.
I know so many people that confuse love with things like possessiveness and jealousy that honestly I am getting more and more disappointed by the world that we are living in.
Everything is wrong. We think we know what true love is, but we are so selfish that we could never let ourselves love someone so freely.
Hey, open your eyes!
Love is not possessing someone. Love is not sharing the good moments but avoid the bad ones. Love is not taking advantage of someone. Love is not asking someone to change.
Love is not what you say. Love is what you do.
Love requires much more than those three simple words to bloom.
1. Love is respecting boundaries. It is realizing that every single person on this planet is different and that sometimes our needs don’t line up the way we expect them to. It is understanding a person’s opinions, accepting their beliefs and respecting their differences. It is making a choice to accept certain things about them that you thought could never accept. All for the sake of love.
2. Love is communicating. Expressing your emotions without being afraid that they’d take advantage of them. Feeling comfortable enough to open up and give that person the keys to your heart. Letting them inside your world and showing them the darkest parts of your being. Love is being honest no matter what. Love is being able to say all of those uncomfortable things to that special person and knowing that they won’t judge nor get offended.
3. Love is not difficult. It’s not supposed to hurt and make you suffer. It is supposed to heal you and provide you with a warm embrace. People who truly love you would never do anything to hurt you. Because they care about your feelings. Your happiness is their happiness. Anything other than that cannot be called love.
4. Love requires work and patience. It takes two to tango and two to build a healthy and loving relationship. The truth is, love isn’t always simple and fun. As we go through life, we are faced with many challenges along the way. But none of these challenges are hard for us when we are determined to overcome the obstacles and make things right. People who genuinely love don’t give up at the first hurdle. They stick together, they compromise, they work hard and they have patience. Because to them, there is nothing more precious than the connection they share. It’s simple. Their love makes everything possible.
5. Love is the absence of fear. The complete absence of questions, doubts, insecurities, hidden intentions, uncertainties, judgments, expectations. Love, my dear friends is joy, understanding, respect, contentment, trust, happiness, loyalty, and faith. It is surrendering. It is giving your body, mind, and soul to another person without being afraid that they might hurt you. It is putting aside all of your inhibitions and loving someone from the bottom of your soul without expecting anything in return.
So, tell me. Are you brave enough to love?