It’s human nature to seek validation from others. We do it every single moment of our lives. We seek validation from our friends, our family, our loved ones, even our colleagues. We do it because deep down we have the need to always be right. We have the need to be perfect and sinless.
But little do we know that there is no such thing as perfection. Nothing in this life is perfect. Especially not humans.
This is something that we all need to understand. Because the sooner we do, the sooner we’ll learn that imperfection is beautiful. And that self-acceptance is one of the most important things we must do for ourselves in order to find happiness.
I am sure you’ve already heard this before, but here it is one more time.
You are the only creator of your life. You are the only person who decides what you do with it. Worrying about what others think of you will only make you a prisoner of your fears.
Here are 7 steps to stop seeking approval from other people and start living your life:
1. Live in the present moment. Stop thinking so much. Stop planning ahead. Stop worrying about things you cannot change. Stop obsessing about things you have no control over. Understand that the only thing you have right now is the present moment. Nothing else. So, take advantage of it. Live it to the fullest.
2. Face your fears no matter how much they scare you. Do you know what’s scarier than failing? It’s being afraid. Being afraid to get up on your feet. To try. To keep on moving. To face something. To be who you are.
3. Learn to say NO. I’ve said it million times and I’ll say it again. You are the only person who decides what you’ll do with your life. The only person who knows what’s really best for you. So don’t feel bad about rejecting things and people that make you feel unworthy. Start saying NO more often.
4. Believe in yourself. This one is not so easy after all. I am here to confirm that from personal experience. It does take time. But it also takes work. You need to see yourself for who you really are and accept your entire being with all its strengths and weaknesses. Only then you’ll be able to start trusting yourself.
5. Know that you are not alone in your imperfection. No one is perfect, my friend. No matter how much they seem that way, they all have flaws. Their imperfections are what make them so unique. So, no. It’s not a curse to be unlike anyone else. It is the greatest blessing of them all.
6. Stop asking for permission. Next time you are faced with a big challenge and you are supposed to make a decision, don’t run it by other people. Make the decision on your own. And do it with your heart. Listen to what it says and then do whatever the hell you feel like doing.
7. Do whatever makes you happy. And please, stop thinking that’s selfish. For once in your life, stop caring what other people think or say about you and live your life the way you want to. Get out of that shell and do the things that make your soul flourish. Dare to dream. Dare to fly. Dare to be different. Do it because you owe it to yourself. Do it because you deserve to be happy.