I know pain. I know what heartbreak does to you. I’ve been down that road more than once. And I’ve struggled a long time until I finally got back on my feet. Until I finally learned. And even when I learned… It took me a lot of patience and self-confidence to finally get back into the game…To open my heart to people. To believe again… To feel love again.
I’ve spent a lifetime pushing people away from me. And it got me nowhere. Sure, it protected me from getting hurt for the millionth time, but did it make me happier? It didn’t. It didn’t make me stronger either. If anything, it made my life miserable. It took away my will to live. To fight. To feel. To be human…
You are not helping yourself. Trust me, I know it feels like you do, but you are not. You are only punishing yourself.
Here are seven signs that you are pushing people away from you without realizing it:
1. You are too quick to judge them. You don’t give people a chance to show you who they are. You don’t give them the benefit of doubt. The first thing that comes to mind when you meet someone new is “What if they hurt me? What if they try to play me?” Your trust issues are forcing you to doubt and push people away, rather than get to know them for who they are.
2. You spend too much time talking about yourself and not enough time learning about others. You do your best to introduce yourself in the best possible way, but when it comes to meeting others, you lose interest. The only thing that you care about is subtly asserting your dominance. That way you can’t get hurt… At least that what you think.
3. You don’t bother trying to build a foundation. Because you are scared of getting hurt. You are scared of failing once more. Of investing all in and getting nothing in return. So, you keep it light. No expectations, no drama. No attachments, no disappointments. No muss, no fuss.
4. You act unpredictably. One day you’re there, the next one you are nowhere to be found. Know this. Playing hot and cold and hurting other people won’t make you feel better about yourself. It will only make your life more miserable.
5. You don’t care about other people’s feelings. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it a million times more. If you want to be treated nicely, make sure you treat others the same way. Being disappointed and hurt by people in the past is not a reason to hurt other innocent people who never did anything to you. Doing that won’t bring your happiness back.
6. You are not yourself. You are desperately trying to prove to the world that you are stronger. That you are not the same vulnerable, emotional person that you were a long time ago. But deep down you know that’s not true. Your heart will always stay pure and fragile. No matter how much you try to convince others that it’s not.
7. You take, but you don’t give much in return. You put in the part-time effort. But that’s not going to last long. No one in their right mind would let you play them like that. I know. You’ve been hurt. You’ve been through a lot. But don’t you think it is time to let go of the past? Don’t you think it is finally time to open your heart again and let love in?