Self-care. Such a small word with such a big meaning. The thing about self-care is that most people think it only means taking a bath, going shopping, or reading a book or in other words, treating yourself nicely. Well, I am not going to lie. All of these things are ways of taking care of yourself. But here’s what.
Treating yourself means much more than just taking a bubble bath. Some stresses can be managed by taking a nap or spending some time in nature. However, some require much effort and much more time. The first thing that should be high on your priority list is letting go of everything that drains you and puts you down.
That’s the least you can do to help yourself get out of the cage that you’ve put yourself in.
Below are 7 things you need to stop caring about:
1. What people think of you. It’s truly exhausting to constantly try to please people. No matter how much you try to do so, you’ll always end up disappointing the people around you. Because it is impossible to make everyone happy or make everyone like you. In the end, why would you even do that? The only thing that you need to give a damn is your opinion about yourself, nothing else.
2. Society’s expectations of you. Society will always try to put you down by dictating how you need to live your life. If you spend your life trying to live up to society’s expectations, you’ll end up living a life that you utterly hate. And trust me, you don’t want that. You don’t want others to choose for you. You don’t want others to define your life.
3. Being perfect. Let’s get one thing straight. You are not perfect. No one is for that matter. So, the sooner you realize that, the better off you’ll be, trust me. It is time to finally stop criticizing yourself for not being good enough and accept yourself with all of your flaws and imperfections.
4. Anything that is out of your control. This is the most important thing that you need to stop worrying about. You might think that you have the power to stop bad things from happening to you, but the truth is, you don’t always do. There are things that you can control and then there are things that you will never be able to prevent from happening, no matter how much you try. Let go of your need to do that.
5. Your past mistakes. Three words. Let it go. Let your past go and move on. You cannot go back in time and rewrite your story. It’s disappointing, I know, but that’s life. So, stop holding onto your regrets and just move on. Your past is behind you. The only thing that matters is the present. Focus on this moment and make it count.
6. Failing. Hey you, failing is not the end of the world. It is not the worst thing that can happen to you. In fact, if you ask me, failing is perhaps one of the biggest blessings in life. For they are the pillars of success. They are the stepping stones to your goals. They help you analyze your mistakes and use your wrongdoings to your advantage. The process of failing is nothing but gathering knowledge. Don’t fear it. Don’t take it for granted.
7. What Ifs. You can spend a whole day worrying about what could have happened if you decided differently, but in the end, you won’t know it until you do it. So, here’s an idea. How about you stop trying to predict the future and let life flow naturally? Or better yet, do the thing that keeps you awake at night. If you are restless and can’t seem to stop thinking about it, go for it. The present moment is yours. Use it wisely.