Sciatica can cause such intense pain that you may be left feeling unable to move. Stretching could be the last thing on your mind, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how amazing some stretches are at relieving your pain.
With the right exercises, you’ll be able to ease the terrible pain of sciatica. It will also help to prevent further hip, leg, and back pain. Try out these 7 stretches to aid sciatica, hip pain, and lower back pain.
1. Knees to Chest
- Lie with your back on the floor and your legs extended.
- Slowly bend your legs and raise them towards your chest.
- Interlace your fingers and hold your knees, pulling them as close to your chest as they can go.
- Hold, then release your legs back to the ground and repeat.
2. Child’s Pose
- Kneel down and place your palms on the floor in front of you.
- Reach your arms forward as much as you can and allow your forehead to reach the floor.
3. Sitting Spinal Stretch
- Sit on a chair with your back straight.
- Hold the left side of the chair and turn your back to the left, leaving your legs facing forward feet flat on the floor.
- Hold for a few seconds, return to the center of the chair, then repeat for the right side.
- Get on your hands and knees with your back straight and your shoulders and hips the same width apart.
- Lift your head up, looking at the ceiling, while also lifting your shoulders, creating an arch in your back.
- From that position, lower your head and shoulders, then lift your back up, creating an arch upwards.
5. Standing Hamstring Stretch
- Stand with your back straight and your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lift your right leg straight and rest your ankle on an object that’s about the height of your hips. Keep both legs straight.
- Bend forward from your waist and stretch your arms gently towards your toes.
- Hold, then repeat on the other side.
6. Lying Spinal Twist
- Lie on your back with your legs straight and your arms out in a T-shape.
- Bend your right leg and pull your knee to your left side. Try to place your knee on the floor while also keep your right shoulder on the ground.
- Hold for a few seconds and then repeat on the other side.
7. Sciatica Mobilizing Stretch
- Lie on your back with your legs straight.
- Pull your right knee towards your chest with both hands while keeping your left leg straight on the floor.
- Repeat for the left leg and then repeat on both sides three times.
If you suffer from sciatica, then these 7 stretches will be of serious help to you. Not only will they aid hip, lower back, and leg pain, but you’ll feel physically fitter and more energetic too. Give them a try and see just how effective they are.
Remember, if any of these stretches cause you pain, stop immediately. Never push yourself too far and always listen to what your body is telling you.
Do you know someone who suffers from sciatica or back and hip pain? Share this article with them so that they can try these wonderful stretches too.