Here’s one undeniable truth. Life is all about people.
We may not need tons of relationships in our lives, but we all need our most trusted individuals beside us. It’s simple. We are human beings who are born to connect. We live life relying on our emotions and no matter how much being vulnerable hurts us, we always follow the road that our heart guides us to.
The need to be nurtured and nurture others is deeply engraved in our nature. It is a part of who we are. It is what makes us feel safe. And it is what gives us a sense of belonging in this cruel, heartless world.
We need to know that someone loves us. We need to know that there are people that care for us. We need to know that they would do everything to see us smile.
We need to know that someone out there thinks of us before they fall asleep. We need to know that there are people out there who look out for us, accept us, encourage us to reach our potential, to never give up and to fight for what we believe in.
We need to know that there are people in our lives who will go out of their way to help us get up and stand on our feet when we are not strong enough to do that on our own.
That is why when we find these people, we do anything to keep them by our side.
That is why when we come across these beautiful creatures who understand us, doing these 10 things comes from the heart:
1. Listening deeply. Because making heartfelt conversation and sharing advice are not the only pillars of a good relationship. There is something even more important and that is the ability to be there to listen to what your loved one has to say.
2. Being present at all times. When you truly love a person with all of your heart, this comes naturally. Nothing is more important than their presence and smile. The messages and the calls will be there later. The person in front of us may not.
3. Speaking truthfully. No matter how awkward, offensive or uncomfortable the truth may be. I’ve always said…You can hurt me with the truth, but please no matter what you do, don’t ever comfort me with a sweet lie.
4. Forgiving. And doing it often. When you find someone, who understands you and loves you for who you are, you realize what unconditionally really means. That is the moment when you learn to forgive instead of holding a grudge because suddenly happiness becomes more important than pride.
5. Accepting entirely. When you genuinely love someone, you admire them for who they are. Not who you want them to be. You accept every part of them and fall in love with their flaws. Because that is what makes them special.
6. Giving fearlessly. Your love. Your undivided attention. Your unconditional support. Your understanding. Your loving embrace.
7. Appreciating vocally. When you love someone, you shouldn’t be afraid to let them know just how proud of them you are. You shouldn’t hesitate to tell them how much you admire them for doing what they do.
8. Supporting unconditionally. Appreciating their efforts. Praising their successes. Being there to encourage them. All of this comes naturally and directly from the heart when you genuinely care for someone.
9. Respecting. Their differences. Their opinions. Their thoughts. Their feelings. Their need for space. Their work. Their way of loving.
10. Loving purely. This goes without saying, right? When you find the person of your dreams, you fall in love with them and you accept them fully. You love them from the bottom of your heart, even when they are stubborn and moody… even when you are too tired, fed up or nervous.