I wish I knew better. Looking back on life, I wish I was smart enough to make the right choice. To not fall for your cheap tricks and your childish games. To walk away before I say yes to the biggest mistake of my life. A relationship with you. Wait, let me rephrase that. A no-label relationship with you.
Honestly, you changed my life. And you changed me, but not for the better…
Looking back on my past experiences, I am 100% positive that will never again agree to be a part of something called labelless love. Here are 7 things I wish someone had told me before saying yes to a no-label relationship with you:
1. The relationship is doomed to fail from the start. Let’s get real. At the end of the day, the only person that got hurt from all of that was me. So, yes, of course, the relationship was doomed from the start. There were a lot of red flags showing the way. The only problem was that I was too blind to see. By accepting a label-less relationship, I accepted a half-assed love. I said yes to being treated like an option, instead of a priority. How could that relationship have a future?
2. The label matters more than we think. We can go around saying that it doesn’t really matter what you call your relationship as long as it makes you happy. Well, let me say this. Yes, it does. Titles matter. A LOT. A no-label relationship does nothing but cause confusion, misunderstandings, impatience, fights, and eventually a nasty heartbreak.
3. If anyone cares about you, they would gladly define the connection that you two share. It is that simple. Really. If they gave a damn about me the way I gave a damn about the whole relationship, we wouldn’t be having this talk, would we? Excuse me, but there is no such thing as a labelless relationship, only people who are too afraid to define their connection with another person.
4. We all deserve more than a no-label relationship. I thought being in that relationship is all I wanted. But very soon I realized that it wasn’t. That I was just lying to myself. Fooling myself that a labelless relationship can turn up into something more meaningful. Something real. Something pure. Obviously, I was right. And obviously, I deserve better than that. We all do.
5. One of the rules in this relationship is being completely okay with them dating other people. And of course, I couldn’t be upset about my partner seeing or texting someone else. Because, after all, that’s what we agreed on. A label-less relationship. A relationship without the title. The funny thing is, I didn’t know it at the time. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I didn’t know I am about to make the greatest mistake ever.
6. The whole thing is emotionally and physically draining. It is completely wasted time. An undefined bond (if I can even call it bond) that has an expiration date. A time and energy-consuming experience that I would never again accept in my life.
7. All things aside, the fault is mine. After all, that’s the only truth I need to accept. I can whine, cry, and regret my life choices all I want, but in the end, nothing good could come of it. I am the only one responsible for hurting myself this way. Not them, not anyone. I am the one who said yes to an adventure. I thought that ultimately it could be the start of something wonderful. I accepted less than I needed. I lost my head. I got hurt. But fortunately… I am also the one who got back on my feet and moved on.