We are all different. So, while some people out there develop a thick skin and set boundaries in order to go through life, others feel everything a bit more intensely. These people are known as Deep Feelers or highly sensitive individuals. And I am pretty sure we all have a person like this in our lives.
The thing that makes these people special is the fact that they don’t shy away from their emotions. They are always open about how they feel, but they are also very insecure about how other people feel about them… This is what makes them difficult to love… Deep feelers need constant reassurance of love and affection.
But most importantly they need you to be patient and understand with them…
Here are some tips when it comes to managing and loving a highly sensitive person:
1. Don’t pressure them. They may not drink, or go out, or enjoy life the same way that you do. They may not like the same things that you like. In such cases, the best thing you can do is respect their decisions and accept their boundaries.
2. Give them the space they need. If they want to be alone, let them be alone for a while. If they feel like they want to share their feelings with you, be with them. If they feel like they need some time to sort out their emotions, then let them. Give them the freedom they need. That’s the only way you’ll win their heart.
3. Avoid getting into arguments with them. I am not saying that you should bottle your feelings around them. The way I see it, you should always be very careful about the way you say things in front of them. People who feel everything too deeply tend to take things a little too personally.
4. Don’t hesitate to ask them the questions that bother your mind. Ask them whatever you want to know. Ask them about everything that you don’t understand. That’s the only way you’ll really get to meet an emotional person. However, always know your limits. You don’t want to come off as rude and inconsiderate.
5. Listen to what they say and do your best to understand them. Pay close attention to their words. Listen to them, but do it for the sake of really seeing them for who they are, not just replying. Talk to them about everything. Let them know they can be comfortable around you.
6. Let them enjoy their silence. Emotional people enjoy spending time with a good company. But they also value silence. Being quiet with their thoughts is something that calms them and helps them reconnect with their inner self. It is also one of the most intimate ways to bond with their partners.
7. Be patient with them. Whatever it is that you two are going through, be patient. Don’t make rash decisions and don’t let your impatience cloud your mind. Don’t yell, don’t shout, don’t raise your voice if there’s no reason for that. Highly sensitive people are easily triggered by conflict. And sometimes, the consequences can be far more severe than you can imagine.
Do you know someone like this?