1. They are not ignoring you. No, they are not bored with your conversation. They are quiet because deep down, their heart cries. It aches at the thought of knowing that they will never again get to listen to their father’s voice, hug him, laugh with him, tell him what goes on in their lives, share their lives with him.
2. You cannot understand their pain. So, don’t try to. They appreciate that you want to help them, but the truth is, you can’t. You can’t go back in time, you can’t bring their loved one to life, you can’t take away their pain. That is something that has become a part of their soul. It has marked them for life… So, don’t… Don’t tell them to get over it. Don’t try to convince them that it will all pass. The only thing they need right now is time and support.
3. That’s why the best thing you can do is just listen. It may not take their pain away, but it will most definitely soothe their wounded hearts. Even if it’s only for a second. Be the person who will offer them your shoulder to on. Be that someone who will shelter them from the rain. You don’t have to say much, just be there. Be there to help them carry the load. Be there to wipe their tears. Be there to lift them up when they fall…
4. Life is really short. And your loved ones that are here today with you may never see tomorrow. Seize the moments. Seize the days. Enjoy every single minute of your life spent with them. And never eve take their presence or their unconditional love for granted. One day, the only thing you will be left with is your memories with them. Make sure they are good ones. Make sure you’ve
5. Don’t say you have no time for your parents. Instead, make time. Being busy is an illusion. Something that we like to tell ourselves in order to seem more productive and in some cases, well to avoid socializing with people. You are not busy. It is all about your priories. So, make them one. Put them on top of your priority list and spend time with them. That is the least you can do for them.
6. Always tell him how grateful you are for having him beside you. Tell your dad how much you love them. Tell him that without him by your side, your life would be nothing. Tell him that everything you are today, you awe it to him. Hug him, appreciate his presence, talk to him, be present in his life. Let him know that you are always there.
7. Know that they would do anything to be in your place. It’s true, they are jealous. They are jealous of you for having a father by your side and they are not afraid to admit it. They don’t want to feel that way, but it is just how it is. But deep down, underneath all the pain, they are happy for you. They are happy that someone out there has the opportunity to feel loved and protected by their father.