It’s easy to get swept up in a narcissist’s charm. When you first meet them, they’re friendly, alluring, and will make you feel like the most special person in the world. Since they know exactly how to reel you in, they will stop at nothing to do it. Who could really blame you for falling for it?
Once you enter into a romantic relationship with them, things can turn sour very quickly. They’ll begin to show you their true colors as they treat you in the most heinous ways. Here are 30 things you can expect if you’re in a relationship with a narcissist.
1. You will always be the scapegoat for their actions.
2. Conversations will become impossible because all they will want to talk about it themselves.
3. Guilt will become your predominant emotion once you inevitably begin blaming yourself for everything.
4. Your partner will use you as their own personal punching bag.
5. They will make all the rules and change them whenever they feel like it too.
6. If you try to call them out on their bad behavior, they’ll completely lose it.
7. You will be the one who needs to deal with their anger, insecurity, and paranoia.
8. Anything you say could set them on a rampage, so you’ll constantly be walking on eggshells.
9. An apology will never pass their lips because they will never accept that they’re wrong.
10. No matter what you ask them, you’ll never be given a straight answer.
11. You will be emotionally, physically, and spiritually drained as a result of their turbulent emotions.
12. Anything that you say to your significant other will come back to haunt you.
13. They will be irrational, impulsive, and hot-headed, as well as being dismissive of you.
14. Your partner will be in control of where you go, who you see, and what you do.
15. When a conflict arises, solving it will be your problem.
16. Double-standards will be the norm.
17. They will project all their negative emotions and insecurities onto you.
18. You’ll fear that you’d be judged if you ever left them because of how much outsiders admire them.
19. Everything will be about them, even on your birthday or on celebrations of your achievements.
20. You will become traumatized as a result of your toxic relationship.
21. Self-love or even self-confidence will become completely alien to you.
22. The silent treatment will be their go-to punishment for you.
23. There will never be any cooperation, compromise, or understanding from their side, but they will still expect you to sacrifice everything.
24. Your partner will never appreciate anything that you do and will treat you like you’re worthless.
25. Every disappointment that you face will lower your standards so much that you’ll just be happy that they’re still committed to you.
26. They will never let you win.
27. You’ll cling onto the few good memories that you have since you won’t want to face the harsh reality that you’re living.
28. People will see your partner in a far better light than you ever will.
29. They won’t give a damn about your opinions.
30. Your feelings won’t matter to them so they will continue to hurt you in whichever ways they please.
Although you may have found yourself stuck in their malicious trap, that doesn’t mean that you have to stay there forever. It may feel like you’re completely stuck, but you can get out. You have the key to your own freedom; all you need to do is walk away. So, don’t make excuses for their behavior, ignore your feelings of guilt, and simply walk away. Doing that is the only way that you can truly be free.
If you know someone who could be in a relationship with a narcissist, share this article with them. They need to take a deeper look at what’s really going on before they can understand that it’s time for them to leave.