Relationships take time and a lot of energy. Sharing your life with another person requires your utmost commitment and on top of it all, pure, honest love. Unconditional love.
It means being able to rip a part of yourself and sacrifice it for the other person. It means getting out of your comfort zone and thinking about what the other person needs. It means making compromises.
It’s about learning to face every frightening thunderstorm together and surviving. Because when you two are together there’s not a force strong enough that can do you any harm.
These are just a few of the things a true relationship requires. If you feel like you are ready to take a leap of faith and just dive in, here are some crucial things you need to know about meaningful relationships:
1. Actions really speak louder than words. If a person is promising something, they should probably see to it that they fulfill what they stated. Everything other than that is disrespectful and inconsiderate of other people’s feelings.
2. You either click with a person or you don’t. There’s no grey, in-between area. It’s something that’s either felt deep inside or not at all.
3. Life will take us all the way up and put us down when we least expect it. There will be good times and bad times. But, the most important thing is that in a meaningful relationship, all the positive things will always outweigh the negativity.
4. Revealing your relationship details as well as troubles will not help you. In fact, it will do just the opposite. The problems that concern you and your partner should be resolved and discussed between you two.
5. You have to accept each other for who you really are. If you are in a relationship with a person that is constantly trying to mold you into a type of person they want to be with, that’s not love.
6. Being in a meaningful relationship is pushing each other forward. It is motivating and inspiring your partner to be the best version of themselves. Not holding them back. But rather staying beside them and encouraging them to make the step and reach every goal they have.
7. Cracking a joke and bursting out of laughter is crucial for maintaining a meaningful and honest relationship. Sharing a same sense of humor is essential when it comes to the ultimate bond. If you consider their jokes stupid or offensive, you should maybe question yourself if that person is right for you.
8. Communication is the key to a healthy partnership. You need to be free and confident to talk about everything that’s on your mind. In a real, meaningful relationship there are no secrets. There’s only honesty.
9. However, despite making sacrifices for each other, self-care should never disappear. Just because you are in a relationship now, that doesn’t mean you should forget about yourself. Don’t allow to lose your identity for their sake and the sake of the relationship. Make space for some “alone time” on your agenda and treat yourself to something nice.
10. Be there and help each other. “It takes two to tango”, right? Well in a relationship it also takes both sides to contribute. You should be there whenever you are needed and vice versa. Take care of each other, always.
11. Honesty is the best policy. Being truthful about your feelings and thoughts it’s essential for gaining a person’s trust. If you look forward to a fresh, new and pure start, make sure to come clean and enter the relationship with nothing more than the good, old-fashioned truth.
12. Cheating is a definite no-no in a meaningful relationship. If you two have an unshakable bond and you trust each other, you shouldn’t be alarmed at all.
13. You support each other unconditionally. You encourage each other’s dreams and praise each other’s successes. Because there’s no other person you would rather be with. You’ve finally found what you were looking for.
14. You know when to forgive and forget. Small things don’t concern you. Life is too short to be spent angry. Face the issue, and let it go. Forgive and forget.
15. Whatever you go through, it can be resolved through a heartfelt and sincere communication. You don’t allow to get all worked up and nervous about a small argument. Talking things out is the best method.
16. Deciding to do nothing on the weekend, but rather stay at home and binge-watch your favorite tv show is the best plan ever. You don’t need to pretend to have fun at the club when you have your favorite person right beside you.
17. And the best part is that you are so comfortable around them, you are free to be who you are. You don’t need to change your fave stained t-shirt because you look totally sexy in it. You two have reached a phase in which you feel absolutely comfortable with each other’s nasty habits. You are already perfect the way you are.
18. Respect is an essential part of the relationship. It’s one of the key ingredients for a true, heartfelt partnership.
19. You trust each other unconditionally. Because keeping a relationship alive and healthy requires a great deal of commitment and trust.
20. Taking responsibility for your actions is one of the most crucial things in order to have a meaningful relationship. It’s just how it is. You don’t take the blame for someone’s wrongdoings. You face the consequence and move on.
21. Most importantly, you are free. Yes, being in a meaningful relationship means finding that right person with whom you could spend eternity, but that doesn’t mean sabotaging self-growth.
You should be encouraged to pursue every dream you have, not held back. You should be free to continue your own individual journey and help each other rise even higher.
True love will never imprison you. It will liberate you.
Like the great Osho once said: “If you love a flower, don’t pick it up. Because if you pick it up it dies, and it ceases to be what you love. So, if you love a flower, let it be.
Love is not about possession. Love is about appreciation.”