Identity is something which we all struggle to find, as adolescents and as young adults. Being aware of who we are is an essential part of giving a meaning to our life.
So, whenever you struggle with finding your true identity, here are 20 questions that you can re-answer anytime when you feel a little lost and you need to find your true self.
- What are your short and long-term goals?
- What are you worried about?
- What are your greatest strengths?
- Of what accomplished are you most proud?
- What is your biggest failure?
- Of what are you ashamed?
- What is your safe place?
- Who or what makes you feel comfortable and at peace?
- What are your passions?
- What would you do if you were not afraid?
- What things do you love about your job? What things do you dislike?
- What is your happiest memory?
- What do you like to do when you are feeling down?
- What causes you stress? What do you do when you are stressed?
- What does your inner critic tell you?
- What do you value the most? What do you believe in? (Politics, religion, people…)
- What is your most important wish?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Who matters the most to you? Who is your support group of people?
- What are the things for which you are grateful?
Everyone has a crisis of identity. It can happen because we tend to put other people’s needs ahead of our own. As a result, we start neglecting ourselves and our needs. We get disconnected from our feelings and our true nature. We start mirroring other people’s behaviors.
Moreover, painful experiences such as breakups, divorces, a death of a dear person, job transitions etc. can make us feel off balance and prone to lose our sense of ourselves.
Explore these questions at depth. Really think about them before you give your answer. Delve deep into your psyche. Take as much time as you need to answer them. I suggest answering one question per day so that you can really focus on the question and find your true answer.
I wish you well in the process of rediscovering yourself.
Image: Lang Wang