A variety of different health properties can be experienced by different types of marijuana. It is a widely popular drug, not just simply because of its efficiency for both recreational and medicinal users, but also because it offers various consumption methods.
The popularity of cannabis can be traced back to the 1960s, and today it is one of the most popular and commonly used products. The term marijuana refers to the different parts of the plant, including its seeds, flowers, dried leaves, and stems.
From 1996 until today (2020), 33 states and four territories have approved comprehensive medical cannabis programs. Today, many individuals suffering from different health conditions and symptoms can benefit from the health properties marijuana can provide.
A Closer Look At Cannabis
More than 100 cannabinoids can be found in the cannabis plant, which provides potent and effective benefits.
The two main active compounds often talked about are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). These are known to offer many therapeutic properties, such as pain relief, anti-inflammatory effects, alleviating symptoms of many conditions, including depression, anxiety, stress, insomnia, chronic pain, and more.
THC is the ingredient with the psychoactive effect. It delivers the “high” effect which can translate into mental alertness, improved cognitive functioning, elevated mood, euphoria, and creativity.
CBD is highly effective in easing pain, even the ones caused by chronic illnesses. It can offer relaxing, soothing, and even sedative effects. This ingredient does not offer psychoactive properties. CBD-infused cannabis products are mainly used for medical needs by those who do not wish to get “high.”
The level of THC and CBD in a cannabis strain will determine the effects one can expect. When the ratio of THC and CBD are about even, CBD can counteract the psychoactive effects of THC.
The Four Types Of Cannabis
The type of marijuana is categorized based on the following criteria:
The effects they provide
- The type of high they deliver
- The type of cannabis plant they originate from
There are two main cannabis plant types: Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica. You can buy these online from online dispensaries such as BudStars. In total, they are categorized into four groups, such as the two main types plus Hybrid and Cannabis Ruderalis.
- Cannabis Sativa: this type of cannabis generally has higher levels of CBD and a lower THC-content. It originates from warmer climates, such as South Africa and Mexico. Sativa-dominant strains offer energizing, uplifting, and soothing effects and they are perfect for morning and daytime use. Sativa strains are popular for the productive head high they provide, helping the user to reach a higher level of creativity, focus, and cerebral productivity. These plants are known to effectively elevate one’s mental state, offering feelings of euphoria, happiness, and calmness. It is so often used to help with depression, anxiety, stress, ADHD, and even mood disorders.
- Cannabis Indica: the origins of this type of strain has been traced back to the Hindu Kush region, which is close to Afghanistan, stemming from a colder climate. Indica-dominant strains are famous for their higher levels of THC and lower levels of CBD. They are best suited for evening use, usually before going to sleep. Indicas are known to deliver a potent body high. This type of cannabis strain offers very relaxing and sedative properties, sometimes delivering a couch-lock effect. It is widely used by those struggling with insomnia and pain.
- Hybrid: this type of strain is a combination of the two main cannabis plants, containing about the same amount of Sativa as Indica. It is known to provide well-balanced benefits.
- Cannabis Ruderalis: this cannabis species originates from Southern Russia and it is known to be an auto-flowering strain. This means that a Ruderalis plant will flower not based on the light conditions (as the others do), but depending on its age. This type of strain offers a lower content of THC in comparison to the others, so it isn’t a popular strain for recreational users, but it is used as medicinal marijuana.
Individuals who consume cannabis will usually decide on the type of strain based on the effects they wish to have. Each cannabis type is known for the different health effects they can provide, but still, one individual’s experience oftentimes is different from another’s even when the same strain is used. This can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as tolerance levels towards marijuana, weight, sex, or dosage. The method of ingestion (smoking, vaporizing, edibles, topicals) can also determine the intensity and the nature of the effects.