Have you ever met a person so calm and unbothered by the drama around them that you couldn’t understand how they actually do it?
Tell me I’m silly, but it has always been pretty weird to me when people managed to remain cool and quiet in the middle of freaking chaos. Maybe it’s because I have a temper. A temper that I never learned to control. But maybe(and this one is scarier) it is because I’ve never actually learned to find my strength. My emotional strength, that is.
You see, being able to stay calm during a storm and overcome any kind of drama with ease is a serious skill. Considering how brutal and scary this world is, it is an unwavering toughness and resilience.
Here are 10 powerful and admirable traits of people with great emotional strength:
1. They don’t “settle”. Emotionally tough people are not afraid to wait for the real things in life. They are not afraid to be alone until they find real love. They are not afraid to fail until they finally learn. They are not afraid to make mistakes until they finally grow up into the person they’ve always dreamt to be. To them, it is always quality before quantity.
2. They are not afraid of changes. They are aware that if they want to change their lives, they have to start by changing themselves. That is why they never fear changes, but rather… embrace them.
3. They never let drama get to them. They don’t have time for that. Plus, there is no point in worrying about the mistakes they’ve already made or the obstacles that they must find a way to overcome. Instead of complaining about an issue, emotionally strong people choose to deal with it by fixing it.
4. They are not intimidated by the success of others. These people know that each and every single one of us has their own path in life. Therefore, they never compare their journey and their destination to someone else’s. On the contrary, they applaud other people’s success.
5. They don’t wait around for things to happen. Emotionally strong people are doers. If they want something, they work hard to get it. They believe that they can achieve everything they set their minds to. The only person that actually stands in their way is themselves.
6. They are not afraid to admit when they’ve made a mistake. Emotionally strong people don’t have the need to be right all the time. They know that as humans, they can also be wrong at times. That is why they never hesitate to own up to their mistakes and apologize to people. After all, we are all imperfect, human beings. Making mistakes is is in our nature.
7. They seek respect more than they seek attention. The human desire to be accepted by people and fit in society manifests on a completely different level in their world. Emotionally strong people don’t bend over backward to become socially superior. They treat people the way they want to be treated. Respect is the only thing that they want from others.
8. They see failures as stepping stones and criticism as feedback. Emotionally strong people are never discouraged by people’s comments. The only validation they seek is their own. The only opinion that matters to them is their own. People who possess great emotional resilience don’t see criticism as a sign that they are not worthy, but rather as a tool that can help them grow.
9. They are not ashamed of their emotions. They don’t deny having feelings. They don’t consider their vulnerability a weakness. Emotionally strong people could never bottle up their emotions and pretend nothing is happening. They are completely okay with feeling pain and asking for help when they need it. Needing support is not something that they are ashamed of. On the contrary, it is something that makes them human.
10. They establish boundaries. And they are very good at protecting them. Emotionally strong people are not afraid to say NO to things and people that negatively affect their lives. They would never compromise their happiness and wellbeing for someone else.