All the medical workers that are fighting the battle with coronavirus should also disinfect their shoes because the virus also spreads through the soles of shoes, a study finds.
The study published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that half of the samples from the soles of the medical staff in the Intensive Care Unit, a hospital in Wuhan, China, tested positive for Sars-CoV-2 i.e. the virus that causes the coronavirus disease. This means that the soles of the shoes of the medical staff are carrying the disease as well.
“In addition, as medical staff walk around the ward, the virus can be tracked all over the floor, as indicated by the 100% rate of positivity from the floor in the pharmacy, where there were no patients,” researchers wrote.
“Knowing the extent of environmental contamination of Sars-CoV-2 in COVID-19 wards is critical for improving safety practices for medical staff and answering questions about Sars-CoV-2 transmission among the public,” the report said.
We highly recommend that persons disinfect shoe soles before walking out of wards containing COVID-19 patients,” they concluded.
As of Monday, there are more than 1.87 million people infected with COVID-19 worldwide. And more than 550.000 coronavirus cases are in the US only which means that the US is the country with the most confirmed cases of coronavirus in the world.
Photo: Nickolay Romensky
During lockdown hours, there are still a few things that we cannot escape from doing – shopping for groceries, for example. Many of us are still going out to shop for food and toiletries. And while we must do it, there is a safe way recommended by food safety experts and virology experts.
There are a lot of people who are scared of getting infected with the virus by touching the groceries. However, experts agree that the biggest risk they undertake is going to the store and getting in touch with people who are or may be infected.
“While it is possible to contract the virus [from contaminated surfaces], the majority of transmission is probably going to be from respiratory droplets, which you’re exposed to when you’re around other people,” says Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health.
So, here are some tips on shopping safely.
1. SHOP QUICKLY AND AVOID CROWDS
Always go to grocery stores that limit the number of people inside. Yes, this means that you will have to wait more time outside, but it is worth it. And when you are in the store, then you should try to be as fast as possible. Have a list and move through the store efficiently and quickly. And always maintain social distancing.
2. SHOP ALONE
Bringing your family to the store will only add more people inside and it is unsafe for others and for your family as well.
3. SANITIZE YOUR HANDS AND THE CARTS
When you enter the store, sanitize the handles of your basket or cart. There are many stores that sanitize them regularly, but it won’t hurt you to sanitize them yourself with your hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes. Also, don’t touch your face when you are in the store and avoid using your phone there.
4. LEAVE THE GLOVES AT HOME
Anytime you touch an infected area with your gloves, the infection is on your gloves. “I’ve seen a lot of people wearing gloves out in public, and they just kind of wear them all day and do a lot of normal activities, like talk on their phone, potentially eat, potentially handle food that they’re going to eat later with those gloves on,” Rasmussen says. “And that’s not great practice.”
5. PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING WITH THE CASHIER AS WELL
The people who work at the grocery stores are at most risk because they are in contact with many people during the day. So, protect them by staying at least 6 feet away from them.
6. CHOOSE NO-TOUCH PAYMENT WHENEVER YOU CAN
If you have Google or Apple Pay use them. If not, then a credit card will be fine. Just avoid paying with cash. And sanitize your credit card after paying.
7. DON’T DRIVE YOURSELF CRAZY BY DISINFECTING GROCERIES
Just washing your fruit and vegetables is enough. And you also don’t need to disinfect every single item you have. Just disinfect your hands after shopping.
And if you are still anxious about going to the store, then the safest way is to order online. You can pay ahead and then have your groceries delivered outside your door with little to no face-to-face contact.
Seems like the COVID – 19 virus has unfortunately and unexpectedly imposed a “new era” upon us. We gave up on our social lives and left many of our daily habits in the past. Nevertheless, feelings of uncertainty, fear and anxiety can have a devastating effect on our immune systems.
Still, we hear about it on the news almost on a daily basis; keeping our immune systems super healthy and working properly has never been more important!
Here are some crucial tips in order for you to support your own body’s natural defense system:
- Proper nutrition
When we mention proper nutrition, we are thinking of consuming plenty of super-foods, vitamins, minerals and supplements (if necessary), into your daily diet.
Some of the vitamins that you have to take daily are:
- Vitamin C – Squeeze at least 1 lemon per day and if it’s possible, buy a supplement of 1000mg, it will do wonders and you will notice a difference. Fresh fruits and veggies such as broccoli, kiwi, red and green peppers, strawberries and all citrus fruits also have it in abundance.
- Vitamin E – It is crucial in maintaining a healthy immune system and it’s a powerful antioxidant. You can find it in almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, peanut butter.
- Zinc – It is an essential mineral involved in production of certain immune cells. Top food sources of zinc are baked beans, oysters, chickpeas, cashews.
- Carotenoids – When consumed, carotenoids are converted into vitamin A (a nutrient that helps regulate the immune system). Look for these foods: carrots, spinach, mango, papaya, kale, apricots.
- Detoxify and Alkalize
This is also a key point, as when the body is alkaline and toxin-free, it doesn’t support the development of any type of disease. This means that if you do get infected with a virus or bacteria, you are most likely to get through it with minimal or no consequences at all.
Add these to your shopping list: berries, all leafy green vegetables, green tea, apples, tomatoes, oily fish and most importantly, plenty of garlic (eat it raw).
Keep your serotonin and endorphine levels high, this is an imperative when facing a quarantine lockdown. This way you will reduce to minimum your mood swings, hormonal imbalance and unwanted feelings such as anxiety, depression, fear and lack of security.
You don’t have to be experienced when it comes to exercising. Simply find a workout plan on the internet that suits your temperament best – yoga, pilates, cardio exercises, rope-jumping… anything that in general keeps you moving.
- Cut down on alcohol and cigarettes
Boredom and anxiety can lead to overconsumption of alcohol, cigarettes and food. Try to be as mindful as possible when it comes to vices! Not to mention that a weakened immune system, obesity and already damaged lung cells are something that you definitely don’t need when it comes to COVID – 19.
Instead, if you are locked with your family and friends, play card games, make a costume party, a pijama party, a marathon movie night, karaoke night, play twister, monopoly and a variety of other board games.
If you are locked by yourself, it is now the VERY MOMENT for you to begin learning that foreign language you’ve always wanted to speak, to work out, to read, to learn a new skill etc. Come out a as a better version of yourself and as a winner!
Mindful breathing is an extremely powerful technique and it should never be underestimated. There are many breathing techniques. Nonetheless, practicing deep abdominal breathing for 5 min. several times a day will make the world of a difference. Try it now.
Here are some medically proven health benefits from conscious breathing:
- Boosts the immune system
- Elevates mood
- Greater focus
- Increases grey matter in the brain
- Higher IQ
- Better learning capacities
- Reduces stress, calms the mind; patience, tolerance and compassion take over
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Strengthens the lungs
- Improves the performance of the entire endocrine and nervous system
- Improves stamina
- Relieves emotional tension
- Assists in weight control
Drastic times call for drastic measures, some might say. However, when it comes to protecting yourselves and your dearest and nearest, a few quite simple habits will have a HUGE impact on your overall physical and mental health!
For those of you who are not that familiar with the state of ALKALINITY vs. ACIDITY here are all the basic facts.
A pH is a scale of acidity from 0 to 14 used to specify how acidic or alkaline a substance is. Neutral substances have a pH of 7. Every substance with a pH below 7 is considered acidic, and every substance with a pH above 7 is considered alkaline. Our body, or more accurately, our blood, is slightly alkaline, with a pH of 7,4, and our stomach is acidic so as to process the food that we consume. And that is all of the chemistry that you’ll need to know.
How does the food that we consume affect our overall health and why is it so important to alkalize?
Making quality food choices nowadays seems quite a challenge with all of the online nutritionists’ pieces of advice. It seems sometimes as though we ought to have a list of at least a dozen of habits in order to stay fit, vital and healthy; yet, we lack the time to practice all of them. When we do find the time, on the other hand, we often don’t know which practice or food is the right one for us. Here is where alkalinity takes the lead role.
Nourishing an alkaline body environment not only preserves us from even the most dangerous viruses and bacteria (yes, you are reading it right), but it also speeds up our metabolism, it promotes a healthy endocrine system, keeps our mood and emotions balanced and even aids in weight loss!
How to alkalize your body?
The rule is simple. Most raw foods are alkaline, most processed foods are acidic.
Drinking a big glass of water combined with the juice of 1 squeezed lemon in the morning, has never been more important! It alkalizes the entire body immediately! (Note that even though lemons are acidic in taste, they have an alkaline pH.)
Consuming leafy greens is also a very powerful tool to alkalize your body!
Almost 90% of people worldwide practice a so-called acidic diet, but this is none of their fault. It’s simply the ways of the modern world. We eat on the go, rarely cook and don’t pay much attention to what we consume in general. The crazy passed daily life and work, the environment and the food commercials, they all play a vital role in this.
The problem lies in the fact that people who aren’t familiar with the basics of chemistry or medicine, do not pay attention to the simple facts that almost 85% of all diseases arise from an improper diet. Diseases can’t live long nor develop in an alkaline body environment, and almost every doctor knows this. That is the main reason why cancer patients (and people with other severe diseases) are advised to radically change their diet, i.e. to transfer to a raw diet.
What to do now?
Change your food habits, start small but stay consistent. Consume lemon-water in the morning; this is basically the most important thing that you have to do. If you alkalize in the morning (when the body is most acidic), then your chances of catching a cold minimize. Start consuming leafy green salads. Consume more vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts in general. It is also crucial that, prior to consuming them, you keep all the fruits and vegetables in a solution of water and sodium bicarbonate for at least 20 min. (A tea spoon in a few litters of water will do the trick – don’t worry too much about the ratio.)
Avoid eating junk food, processed sugars, too much red meat, white rice, white sugar, white flour, dairy products, artificial sweeteners, soft and fizzy drinks, canned fruits… This doesn’t mean that you should immediately exclude all cravings, it just means that now, perhaps more than ever, your paying attention to what you consume can help preserve the homeostasis of your body!
Here is also a chart that will help you in your food choices and that shows the exact pH of each type of food.
Choose well and stay safe!
Yoga has been used for centuries as one of the greatest ways to keep our bodies healthy. It helps to increase flexibility, relax our bodies, and ease pain. Many people have begun to use its wonderful benefits to help rid themselves of the pain and discomfort attributed with sciatica.
If you suffer from this affliction, try these 12 yoga poses you can do every day to ease nerve pain and sciatica.
1. Bound Angle Pose
- Sit with your back straight and your legs straight in front of you.
- Exhale and bend your knees, pulling your heels towards your pelvis and dropping your knees to the floor.
- With the soles of your feet touching and your heels as close to your pelvis as they can go, grab the big toe of each foot with your first and second fingers. Make sure your knees are still close to the floor.
- Hold and keep your back straight while taking a few deep breaths. Then inhale while unbending your knees and bringing them back to their original position.
2. Dolphin Pose
- Rest on the floor on your hands and knees. Keep your knees directly below your hips and your wrists below your shoulders.
- Curl your toes, exhale, and lift up your knees. Keep your forearms resting on the floor.
- Leave your knees slightly bent and your heels off the floor. When it’s comfortable, begin to push your heels back into the floor and straighten your knees. Make sure that your back is straight. If you can’t straighten it then bend your knees slightly.
- Hold this pose while taking a few deep breaths, then exhale and drop your knees back to the floor.
3. Extended Side Angle Pose
- Stand with your back straight and your feet wide apart. Point your left foot forward while your right foot points to the right.
- Raise your arms parallel to the floor, keeping your shoulders down.
- Exhale, and bend your right leg so that the knee is directly above the ankle.
- Place the palm of your right hand on the floor in front of your right foot. Lift your left arm up, pointing to the sky.
- Lift your head to look toward your left arm. Stay in this pose while breathing deeply. Then inhale while you lift yourself back up and repeat on the other side.
4. Mountain Pose
- Stand with your back straight, heels apart, and big toes touching slightly.
- Keep your thighs firm and raise your kneecaps without tensing your stomach. Lift your inner ankles slightly so that you’re on your toes.
- Lower your shoulders and lengthen them. Keep your arms by your sides, palms facing forward, and your head looking straight ahead of you.
- Hold while breathing gently.
5. Tree Pose
- Start with mountain pose.
- Bend your right leg and bring the sole of your foot to your inner left thigh with your toes pointing downward.
- Once you’ve found your balance, bring the palms of your hands together at your chest.
- Hold for several deep breaths, then exhale and lower your leg.
6. Cobra Pose
- Lie with your stomach, legs, and feet all flat on the floor with your toes pointed outward.
- Keep your elbows directly below your shoulders and place your palms on the floor. Then lift up your chest from the floor, hugging your elbows to your sides.
- Keep your pelvis and legs firmly on the floor, take a few deep breaths, then exhale and drop your chest slowly back to the floor.
7. Fire Log Pose
- Sit on the floor with your legs crossed and your back straight.
- Put your left foot under your right leg, then stack your right leg on top of the left with your foot on top of the knee.
- Hold your hands comfortably on your legs and bend forward slightly at the hips, keeping your back straight.
- Stay in this pose while taking several deep breaths.
8. Warrior 1 Pose
- Start in mountain pose, then exhale and bring your feet wide apart.
- Keep your left foot facing forward while your right foot points to the right. Bend your right knee so that it’s in line with the ankle.
- Raise both your arms to the sky, then turn your body to the right with your head also facing to the right.
- Breathe deeply and hold, then repeat on the other side.
9. Warrior 2 Pose
- Start in warrior 1 pose.
- Move your arms so that they’re parallel to the floor, keeping your shoulders lowered.
- Stay in this pose while breathing deeply, then repeat on the other side.
10. Staff Pose
- Sit on the floor with your back straight and your legs straight out in front of you.
- Place your arms by your sides and rest your palms on the floor just slightly behind you.
- Keep your back and knees straight, hold the pose while breathing deeply.
11. Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend
- Start in staff pose, then open your legs to a 90-degree angle, keeping your knees straight and pointing towards the ceiling. Push your legs apart as far as they can go from here.
- Slowly walk your hands forward on the floor between your legs with your back remaining straight.
- Reach your arms as far as they can go without bending your back, hold, then inhale and lift yourself back up.
12. Reclining Hero Pose
- Rest yourself on your knees with your lower legs hugging the sides of your thighs, toes pointing outward.
- Exhale while slowly leaning back into the floor, keeping yourself balanced with your hands. Move on to rest on your forearms instead of your hands, and then onto your elbows.
- When you can, move your hands and rest your lower back on either a blanket or cushion.
- Hold this pose and take several deep breaths, then slowly raise yourself back up, using your hands for support.
Take a few minutes out of your day each day to do these poses. You’ll find that with time, they’ll be easier to do as your flexibility increases. Soon, you’ll start to see how great these poses really are for aiding sciatica and nerve pain.
Do you know someone who sufferers from sciatica? Send this article to them and share the amazing benefits that yoga has to offer.
The COVID-19 global pandemic has been a tough adjustment for the world, both for physical and mental health reasons.
You’ve likely been inside for a couple of weeks. Are you starting to feel stir-crazy at this point?
This is a super common occurrence during quarantine and has even been recognized by the CDC. Dealing with stress and keeping your mind occupied is an important factor for your health during this time.
Keep reading to learn the top ten tips for maintaining your intellectual health during the quarantine.
- Create a Routine and Stick to It
This pandemic has certainly changed all of our daily routines. There’s no more commuting, going out to eat, or regularly visiting friends. But trying to maintain as much normalcy throughout the day can be a relief to your mental health.
For example, if you were going to the gym before or after work, you could try to use that time to do a workout video in your living room or go on a run.
Another huge mental health activity is changing your clothes, brushing your teeth, and showering. Get ready for the day and do all of the things you’d normally do to help yourself feel productive.
- Stay Connected with Friends and Family
Having regular video chats with friends and family can create the support system you need during this time. If you’re feeling particularly anxious or stressed, reach out to someone you trust who you can lean on.
Just in general, keeping your family connected and providing regular updates will make you feel less isolated. Making the most of technology and reaching out to the people you love is highly recommended.
If you and your family have experienced a loss recently, continue to reach out daily so you feel less isolated. Using keepsake urns might also be something you can have with you and will make you feel connected to those you lost.
- Get Sleep, Drink Water, and Take Care of Your Health
Taking care of your health is a regular part of your life, regardless of this pandemic. So take this opportunity to refresh your health routine. Consider the amount of water you drink every day and the amount of sleep you’re getting.
Eating nutritious meals and exercising can also improve your daily life. When grocery shopping, try to avoid foods you know will make you feel bad later and aim for healthy portions when eating.
Finally, try to limit the amount of alcohol you’re consuming. This can be an easy substance to lean on during difficult times, but it can actually end up emphasizing any mental health issues you might be struggling with.
- Give Up What You Cannot Control
So much feels out of our control right now, and trying to give up the things that you are unable to control will provide you with a lot of mental freedom. It helps to focus on the things you can control.
Washing your hands, staying inside and avoiding too much news consumption are all ways you can stay within your control. In general, do what will help you feel safe.
This may be different for everyone, but staying in isolation and continuing to practice social distance are all things you can control and will likely help you feel safe.
- Unplug and Avoid Obsessing
Part of giving up what you can’t control also involves unplugging as much as you can. With a 24/7 news cycle, it can be easy to watch the news all day and listen for every update. But staying informed is different from obsessing.
Checking in on the news every now and again is important, but leaving your TV news program running all day might be too much for your brain.
- Go Outside But Avoid People
If you’re being told to stay inside, you should follow the recommendations of public health officials. However, if you’re able to go outside and avoid people, it can certainly help your mental health.
Take a walk around your neighborhood, but don’t linger or sit down anywhere public. Keep the windows open when you can and try to get some sunlight through the day. People are often vitamin D deficient so going on a walk will help your body.
If you live somewhere with a lot of nature, avoiding crowds while getting some fresh air will help you to feel more normal and healthy.
- Stay Positive and Focus on Gratitude
It’s very easy to spiral during a time like this, and one major way you can combat that feeling is by remaining as positive as you can. Take a few minutes out of your day to remind yourself of what you are grateful for. Try making an actual gratitude list and expanding on it.
This can actually help lower your stress levels and create a more positive thought process throughout the day. You can share what you’re grateful for with a loved one as a practice in spreading more positivity.
- Quiet Your Mind with Meditation
Staying in the present moment can help you to give up what you cannot control. Meditation and mindfulness can help you to improve your view on life.
Meditation can help you to feel calm and reduce your stress levels, so this is something you can practice several times a day.
- Do Things for Fun
While it’s good to stay productive and have a routine during this time, it’s also important to break up the monotony with some fun. What are the hobbies you enjoy but don’t usually have time to do? Is there a TV show you’ve been waiting to catch up on?
Without having social obligations or commutes, you’re getting more time back in the day to do things you enjoy. Try a new book and explore the projects you’ve been putting off. Staying active and switching up your days is a great mental health coping skill.
- Set Realistic Goals to Avoid Burnout
Along with setting time aside for fun, consider setting realistic goals for your professional and academic life. Take each goal and write down the steps you need to take to achieve them. Being realistic with your schedule will help you to not burn out.
Checking small items off your to-do list will help you to feel more of a sense of accomplishment. In general, try to not be too hard on yourself during a time of such high stress.
Keep up With Your Intellectual Health During Quarantine
This time can be very overwhelming for people, but not letting your intellectual health fall to the wayside is important. Remember to take care of both your physical and mental well-being to decrease your stress.
Follow the tips above and share this list with your friends and family who might be struggling during the quarantine. Check out other articles on our site to help you deal with these stressful times.
As of the 27th of March, America has more confirmed cases of COVID-19 than China. The US has exceeded 95.000 cases of COVID-19 and has officially become number one in the world. This means that if the US doesn’t take control over this situation, there won’t be enough beds and ventilators for infected people and this might lead to over 80.000 deaths over the next few months.
That’s why we need to act now and be even stronger together to not let this happen. Plus, the economy is suffering. Donald Trump says that if we lose the companies we will lose millions of jobs. Coronavirus kills not only people but also the country’s money. Many experts believe that this is only the beginning and that more than 40.000 Americans will lose their jobs by mid-April.
Therefore, as poverty rises, the panic will rise, and the crime will rise. Trump knows this very well and that’s why he was downplaying the situation.
Watch the full video on how Trump’s strategy has destroyed America’s economy.
I can't stress enough how much I care for this… it doesn't come easy to say, but I myself underestimated this virus at first. Living in the bubble of Singapore it looked much less serious. But now there's no question about it's seriousness. Now there's no question that we have to stay together.Please don't fight each other. Please don't divide.Please don't hate.Follow World Health Organization (WHO)Stay safe and responsible. Every decision can potentially save lives.Love you all, no matter where you are in the world.
Posted by Project Nightfall on Friday, March 27, 2020
The world is going through one of the greatest transformations of all time. And naturally, people are going insane. They get caught up in different conspiracy theories and twitter frenzies. Social media is full of fake news, misinformation and panic-spreading, click-bait articles.
Meanwhile, markets and convenience stores are overcrowded with people. And to make it sound even more ridiculous, the entire population is obsessed with buying toilet paper. WHY? Don’t ask me. It’s a phenomenon that science has yet to fully explain.
So, with all of the panic and fear that’s spreading around the world right now, we felt that it’s our duty to put a stop to all of the fake news and support the facts.
So, here we are. These are some of the most pervasive coronavirus myths that are circulating on the internet right now that have been debunked by science. Ignore them for the sake of our health and safety of us and our loved ones
And please… Don’t spread fear. Instead, make sure you spread the facts and the facts only.
1. Coronavirus is the deadliest virus known to humans. False. Some of the most dangerous viruses that have put the world on high alert in the 21st century are the Marburg virus with a death rate as high as 90% and the Ebola virus with a fatality rate of 50%.
2. Garlic can treat the coronavirus. That’s a dangerous myth. While eating garlic will definitely enhance your immune system and keep you healthy, it is not known to prevent people from catching coronavirus or treating it.
3. Hot baths and showers can kill the virus. A really silly myth. No, hot showers and drinking hot water won’t kill the virus if you’ve already been infected. It will only burn your skin. So, please just stick to washing your hands.
4. The world will run out of toilet paper. No, it won’t. So, please stop hoarding toilet paper. There’s enough for all of us!
5. Cocaine cures coronavirus. A horrible, hyper myth that can backfire in ways you cannot even imagine if people don’t stop spreading it. NO! Cocaine does not protect against Covid-19, nor does it cure coronavirus. It is a highly addictive, deadly drug.
6. There’s a coronavirus vaccine ready! Unfortunately, that’s another myth. Scientists are currently working on it, but no vaccine made from genetic material has been approved to date. According to experts, “while there is a push to do things as fast as possible, it’s really important not to take shortcuts.”
7. Children can’t catch Covid-19. Horribly dangerous misinformation. Even though from what is known, this disease often afflicts the elderly or the people with underlying health conditions, the youngest victim so far has been is a 16-year-old girl from France, who died only a few days ago. No one is safe. I repeat NO ONE. So, stay at home.
8. Hand dryers are effective at killing the coronavirus. Just a myth. Don’t bother. Just wash them properly and do it more often. And don’t forget to rub for 20 seconds.
9.You can get Covid-19 from imported oranges. Another (fruity) myth.
10. Pouring alcohol on your hands can cure coronavirus. Myth. It will only help you sanitize your hands. However, it is also important to know that whether you are trying to kill bacteria or viruses, research has found that only an alcohol concentration of 60% is effective. Also, don’t always rely on a hand sanitizer. Make sure you wash your hands with soap and hot water as often as you can.
11. Masks keep you safe from catching the disease. No. Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee. According to WHO, masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water. Also, if you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
12. Covid 19 can be transmitted by mosquitoes. False. According to World Health Organization, “The new coronavirus is a respiratory virus which spreads primarily through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose.”
13. And the most important of them all “everyone with Covid-19 dies”. Oh, the myth that started major panic all around the world. That’s not true and you know it. So far there have been 741, 907 cases of coronavirus out of which, 35, 337 died and 156, 602 recovered.
14. UV lamps can kill the coronavirus. Myth. UV lamps should not be used to sterilize hands or other areas of skin as UV radiation can cause skin irritation.
15. The virus originated in a lab in china. Myth. The disease appears to have originated from a Wuhan wet market where wild animals, including marmots, birds, rabbits, bats, and snakes are traded legally.
16. If you eat meat you will get coronavirus. False. As long as the food is thermally processed, you’re safe.
17. Cats and dogs spread Covid-19. False. They are not carriers of the disease, however, they can still spread it through their fur or dirty paws. So, make sure you keep them clean and healthy.
18. Drink bleach to help yourself not get sick. WOW. This is by far, the craziest, most dangerous thing that I’ve read on the internet. NO! By all means, DO NOT EVER drink bleach. Get away from that bleach!!!
19. Rinsing your nose with saline help prevent the infection with Covid-19. No. According to World Health Organization, there is no evidence that regularly rinsing the nose with saline has protected people from infection with the new coronavirus.
20. Antibiotics may be effective in preventing or treating the new coronavirus. NO. According to World Health Organization, antibiotics do not work against viruses, only bacteria. The new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus and, therefore, antibiotics should not be used as a means of prevention or treatment. However, if you are hospitalized for the 2019-nCoV, you may receive antibiotics because bacterial co-infection is possible.
With all of the panic and fear that's spreading around the world, we need to consistently support the facts. For the safety of us, our families and our children – please don't spread the myths.
Posted by Project Nightfall on Saturday, March 14, 2020
Medical marijuna is becoming increasingly popular at the moment, and for good reason. Though studies on the topic are few and far between, it is commonly seen that marijuana consumption can help people suffering from chronic pain. This is especially true for people who suffer from chronic pain as a result of severely damaged nerve endings, which can also be prone to painful or potentially even debilitating inflammation.
Chronic Pain on the Rise
Though a lot of people might try to struggle on in silence, a huge number of people in society are actually living with chronic pain in some form or another. In fact, it is said that chronic pain is actually the single most common cause of long term disability for United States residents. Furthermore, chronic pain is also more common and affects more people than many other chronic diseases faced by people in the developed world, the most common of which include cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
Is Marijuna Helpful for Chronic Pain
More and more people are turning to medical marijuana to find relief from their suffering. As part of this, medical marijuana can also be useful for treating conditions such as chronic pain—however, the hard evidence to prove this is somewhat limited.
But why is there so little evidence? In short, getting a permit from the government to conduct research on a Schedule I drug such as cannabis and marijuana is incredibly difficult. A schedule I drug is categorized as being a drug which, according to drugs.com, “has a high potential for abuse”, “has no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S” and which “has a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision”. Clearly, then—based on the predefined factors—there should be very little reason for researchers to need to conduct research into the nature of the drug, and so, permits are not handed out readily by the government. This difficulty, and the stigma attached to medical marjuana use still, has largely prevented researchers from taking on the task of looking into medical marijuana and its uses for chronic pain and other such conditions.
So, is medical marijuana helpful for chronic pain? Well, in theory at least and based on the current evidence and testimonies that are available—yes, it could be. However, it is important to consider the difference between the many strains of cannabis, because not all marijuana is likely to be effective for controlling chronic pain. The best strains are, therefore, laid out below.
Strains that Help with Chronic Pain
“There are a huge number of different cannabis strains, however, these all trace back to three different heritages: Cannabis indica, Cannabis sativa, and hybrids created by crossbreeding between Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa strains of plants. However, not all cannabis strains will necessarily have the same effect on chronic pain,”says Nathan Jackson,a marijuana activist at Vela Community.
The currently available research seems to suggest that Cannabis indica is likely to be the most successful strain for treating chronic pain and other such debilitating conditions. This is largely based on the findings from an online survey which was carried out in 2014, which had 95 participants and was later published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. The survey further found that sativa strains were more likely to be beneficial for improving energy levels and mood, as opposed to helping with pain and sedation. By this logic, it can thus be assumed that hybrid strains may also be effective for helping to reduce chronic pain, but not quite to the same degree.
Unfortunately, this study was far from perfect. As well as only being a small scale study—which naturally limits the reliability of the data gathered as a result—the study also required participants to report on their results based on their own experiences; this means that not every response may have been entirely true. Moreover, the participants’ experience with marijuana for chronic pain was not one which was experienced in a controlled setting, and this also means that other factors may have been relevant to the findings and the dosage for each individual will likely have differed also.
What is it in Marijuana that Helps?
Marijuana is an incredibly powerful drug, however, there are a few certain chemical compounds which could be especially useful for controlling pain. These two substances are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).
Even those who have not directly been involved with cannabis and marijuana will likely have heard of CBD supplements, due to the rapidly growing market for these products. Both THC and CBD interfere with the pain receptors in the brain, therefore helping to mask the debilitating effects of chronic pain when used in a responsible manner.
Chronic pain can be debilitating, however, marijuana may help to treat the symptoms. THC or CBD supplementation in the diet may also be beneficial.
CBD hemp flower or CBD bud is gaining increasing popularity because of the health benefits it provides. Cannabidiol, the main component of hemp plant’s leaves, stems, and other plant parts except for hemp seeds, provide therapeutic benefits without unpleasant side effects.
What are CBD hemp flowers made of, and how are they different from other CBD products? How can you benefit from CBD buds? How do you consume it?
In this post, you’ll learn more about CBD hemp flower and its most-sought health benefits.
Everything About CBD Hemp Flower
CBD hemp flower or CBD bud comes from hemp or cannabis plants. Because cannabis has psychoactive cannabinoid, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, it is still illegal in many states and countries all over the world. It’s a good thing that CBD flowers are now available, which come from hemp plants. These buds were dried and cured for making CBD oil or vaped using herb vaporizers you can purchase at https://cheefbotanicals.com.
Here are the good-to-know facts about CBD flowers:
- Because of the 2018 Farm Bill, this act enables CBD manufacturers to use industrial hemp to make CBD products, including CBD flowers.
- CBD buds are not psychedelic. Although CBD flowers look like cannabis buds, they don’t make a user high. Say goodbye to lightheaded feeling, hallucination, or any unpleasant THC effects.
- CBD flowers come in different strains and CBD levels, but one thing is for sure, they have less than 0.30 percent THC.
- CBD flowers cultivated under the 2018 Farm Bill are mostly pesticide-free and non-GMO (non-genetically modified organism) because of regulated and sustainable agricultural practices.
Health Benefits of CBD Flowers
1.CBD Flower as Anti-pain or Analgesic
One method to consume CBD flower is vaping or using vaporization technology. Vape pens and vaporizers use heat to warm CBD flowers to extract the essential oils and vaporize them to achieve relaxing and pain-relieving effects.
Here’s how CBD flower can be used to relieve pain:
- Vape CBD flower by grinding the bud first using a grinder that comes with your herb vaporizer.
- Once the CBD flower has been finely grounded, you can load the pre-heated vaporizer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Adjust the vaporizer’s temperature settings as needed to achieve the best vaporization for your CBD flower.
- Start inhaling and feel the relaxing effects in a few minutes, followed by the analgesic effects. Whether you have arthritis, migraine, or muscle spasms, vaping CBD flowers provide satisfaction to many people.
2. CBD Flower as a Stress Buster
CBD flower can be an effective stress buster. Hemp flowers carry no additives and can deliver CBD into the body without any side effects. With vaping CBD flowers, you can consume CBD vapors in its purest form, providing relaxation after a hectic day.
The terpene profile of CBD flowers are not the same, so you can choose the best strain that is tailor-fit to your needs and preference. Indeed, CBD hemp flowers are great nature’s offerings without needing to add MCT oil, vegetable oil, propylene glycol, or emulsifiers.
3. CBD Flower Combats Inflammation
Like any other CBD products, CBD flower has anti-inflammatory properties that can fight inflammation. The immune system responds well to cannabidiol because of the body’s endocannabinoid system, in which external phytocannabinoids like CBD help in reducing the signs and symptoms of inflammation.
4. CBD Flower Improves Sleep
According to a report, a person who is struggling with depression can develop chronic insomnia, and 80 percent of adults who have depression also have difficulty falling asleep. If you have been suffering from sleep deprivation or lack of sleep, you can try vaping CBD hemp flower. Once inhaled, you can immediately feel the relaxing effects that can set your body and mind to relaxation and sleep.
5. CBD Flower for Stronger Immunity
Aside from anti-inflammatory properties, CBD is also rich in antioxidants. It helps in removing harsh free radicals that can damage the cells and predispose the body to infection. Hence, you’ll have stronger immunity by taking your daily dose of CBD. Achieve better health by vaping CBD flower or extracting its oil to infuse into your food or beverage.
CBD hemp flower is a natural alternative to traditional medications because of its amazing health benefits. It can help fight inflammation, reduce or eliminate pain, and combat stress. The best method to consume CBD flower is through vaporization or inhalation using an herb vaporizer. While CBD flowers look like cannabis buds, you won’t feel any unpleasant side effects like psychoactive high, but only relaxing body and mind, along with its other health benefits mentioned above.
We are all learning that we can do without many things – concerts, museums, partying at clubs, sporting events, restaurants, bars, and so on. However, even though we don’t go out to these events, we still have to go out and buy groceries or get them delivered.
Here are some tips on how to get them safely during this virus outbreak.
DELIVERY – Experts recommend the immunocompromised people and the elderly to use a delivery service whenever they can. They should sign up for a delivery service at their store and then choose everything they need online in the comfort of their home. They should also pay for them online so that there wouldn’t be any exchange of money.
However, even though delivery seems to be the safest way right now, there are some rules that everyone should follow.
NO CONTACT – There are many delivery stores that use a delivery service like Shipt or Instacart who have implemented a no-contact delivery system which means that you wouldn’t have any contact with the delivery person. They leave your groceries by your door and leave immediately.
NO CASH – Cash is dirty, so buy online whenever you can.
IN-STORE SHOPPING – If however, you need to go to the store, here are some advice that you should follow.
SHOP OFF-PEAK HOURS – Avoid the busiest times. Go late at night or early in the morning to avoid crowds. Stay at least 1 meter away from people.
CART WIPES – Take disinfecting wipes with you and disinfect the cart before you put your groceries inside of it. And while you are at the store, stop yourself from touching your face, phone, or purse, and if you have to use hand sanitizer before doing so.
NO CASH – Use a credit or debit card instead of paying in cash.
And do you need to sanitize the groceries when you get home? Ben Chapman, a professor, and food safety expert at N.C. State University says that it isn’t necessary.
“I don’t think right now that washing or trying to sanitize a cereal box is an effective way to stop the pathway of the transmission of COVID-19,” Chapman told The News & Observer on Tuesday.
The first and last defense, he says, is hand-washing and hand-sanitizing.
“When I grab my cereal box and fill my bowl and put the box away, I wash my hands,” he said.
However, fruits and vegetables should always be washed properly. Check our advice on how to do it – The Best Way To Wash Your Fruits And Vegetables
The USDA recommends eating 5-9 fruits and vegetable servings a day. However, before you reach for something to eat, please make sure it is properly cleaned.
There is one fruit and vegetable wash that is totally safe and it removes 4 times more contaminants and pesticides from vegetables and fruits than water alone. Here are the two most common ingredients in vegetables and fruits wash.
ETHYL ALCOHOL – Just like you use alcohol to disinfect your things in the kitchen or the bathroom, you can also use food-grade ethyl alcohol wash to remove all dirtiness and bacteria from your fruits and vegetables. Plant-based ethyl alcohol is safe in small quantities because it is derived from corn.
CITRUS OIL – Food-grade citrus oil removes the buildup that is left on the fruits and vegetables – grime, wax, and other things used to polish the fruits to look shiny and beautiful.
You can buy vegetable and fruit wash as a concentrate that needs to be mixed with water or you can buy it in a spray bottle depending on the quantity of produce you want to clean.
If you want to wash a lot of fruits or vegetables at once, then it is better to add a few drops of concentrate to a bowl full of water because it is a more economic choice. However, if you want to clean one fruit and you don’t want to get your hands soaked in water, then a spray bottle is a faster and more effective way.
If you wonder about the safety of the products you buy, then check the label. If your produce is organic then you should opt for an organic wash as well. Check the label for “certified organic” because that wash is free of synthetic additives. If you want your wash to be gluten-free, like most veggies and fruits are, then make sure your wash is also gluten-free.
Even if there is no proven case of people getting infected with coronavirus through fruits and vegetables, you should always wash what you bring home and get rid of the dirt and bacteria before you cook it and put it in your mouth.
Here is some advice on how to properly wash your fruits and vegetables.
LETTUCES AND OTHER LEAFY GREENS: Put the greens in a large bowl of water and then swish them around to loosen their grit, wait a minute so the grit can drop to the bottom of the bowl, and then lift the greens out into a colander. And then, run them thoroughly in the colander under cold water.
ROOT VEGETABLES: Because these vegetables grow in the dirt, it is essential to wash them deeply. You should scrub them under running water using your hands or a vegetable brush.
MUSHROOMS: Some people don’t like to put mushrooms in water because they absorb it like a sponge and it makes them steam while put in a hot pan. However, you should always wash them by swishing them quickly in a colander under the hardest blast of water you can get from your sprayer. If you see any dirt remaining, pluck them off while rinsing and then spread them on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to dry.
STURDY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: When it comes to asparagus, green beans, grapes, and cucumbers, you should rinse them very well under a high-pressure stream of water while gently rubbing them with your hands and then let them dry in a clean colander.
DELICATE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: Soft fruits and vegetables like ripe stone fruit and berries and tomatoes, should be rinsed under a low-pressure but steady stream of water while turning them carefully and gently with your hands to make sure all sides are clean. Then, place them on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel to dry.
We are all in this together. And we can put an end to this terrible disease if we are protecting and helping each other, if we work as a team, and not against one another.
Be gentle, be kind. Let’s hope that all the infected people will heal and we won’t lose another life. Every human life is valuable. Let’s help the doctors and medical people who work day and night for our own good to fight the virus by listening to their recommendations. And may they find a cure soon.
Until then, protect the elderly and chronically ill by staying home. You may be young and unafraid, but you can kill your parents and grandparents. So, please, please be responsible and stay home! Follow the instructions from the World Health Organization and wait until everything passes and life is back to normal.
Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
When coughing, always use your elbow or carry a napkin with you and then throw it immediately in the nearest garbage bin.
Keep your distance from people. Stay at least 1 meter away from people.
Always keep a sanitizer with you and napkins.
Avoid crowded areas.
Wear a mask when you go out.
Don’t hug, kiss, or handshake with other people. Find other ways of saying hello.
Keep your nails short and clean.
Sanitize your phone with alcohol many times a day.
Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water.
Don’t touch your face, nose, eyes, or your mouth.
Wash your outside clothes every time you go out.
Let’s hope that everything will end soon! Sending you lots of love and support!
Self-isolation. Quarantine. Do these words sound familiar to you? Well, they sure ring a bell with me too.
I had a lot of time these days to think about how to keep ourselves entertained during a pandemic. What can we do?
It turns out there are more risk-free games than you actually think. So, I am sharing a list of fun games below you can play alone or together with your family:
You can play chess at a one – meter distance from the other person. You have your own figures that only you play with and touch, so during these hard times, chess seems to be one of the best ways to keep yourself entertained.
For all those who still don’t know how to play this game, well, now it’s time to learn how to do that. You get to spend some time off social media and you get to learn something new in a safe way.
Similar to chess, checkers is a board game which doesn’t require you to sit right next to the person you’re playing against. The pieces can only be moved diagonally to an unoccupied space. If you have to position your figure to a square already occupied by your opponent, you only jump over that square.
Again, the distance plays an important role here as well as the fact that each player has their own figures to play with. After the game ends, you can disinfect both the board and the figures. Just to stay on the safe side.
3. The 300 List
Now what’s so good about this game is that each person has their own piece of paper and pen. All you have to do is to name a category, say, capitals in Europe, and you have to name as many capitals as you can think of. Whoever has a longer list – wins the game.
Other examples of categories include names that start with a certain letter, Oscar-winning actors or directors, cocktail names, dessert names, and whatnot.
4. Speed geography
Speed geography is another game you can make use of during these times. Every player has their own piece of paper and pen, so from the very start, the game is free of any corona-induced risks. The players can all sit in different corners of the room and that’s the closest contact you’ll have with your opponents while playing this game.
The best part is that this game is educational and perfect for all those with a competitive spirit – it requires knowledge, speed, and resourcefulness.
Pictionary is a word-guessing game. Usually, it’s played on a small board or an easel. Each player can draw on a separate piece of paper and show it to the rest of the players.
You’ll have a lot of fun guessing what the drawings mean, but most importantly, you won’t share the paper and the marker with anyone else.
Domino puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, word or picture puzzles are all fun to do and you can do them by yourself. In case you have two identical puzzles, you can play with a family member to see who will put together the puzzle faster.
Besides, solving puzzles is a great mental exercise because it improves our mental speed and accelerates our thought processes.
7. Memory Train
This game is suitable for more than two players. Namely, one player starts a sentence. The other person has to repeat what they’ve heard and then they have to continue the sentence adding one more word. If you miss a word, you get eliminated from the game. Thus, the person that will repeat the sentence correctly every time wins.
You don’t need to touch anything and you don’t need to be near anyone to play this game. The good thing about it is that it sharpens your memory.
At these particularly hard times, we all need a little bit of joy and entertainment to distract ourselves.