Millions of people around the globe suffer from tooth loss. It is more common than you think. Despite the improvement in dental care, tooth loss is still pervasive and is caused by injury, periodontal disease, and tooth decay. In the past, the only treatment options that were available were dentures and bridges. However, dental implants have replaced the need for seeking such dental treatment options.
So What Are Dental Implants?
In simple words, dental implants are the replacement for tooth roots. They provide a great foundation for removable and permanent replacement teeth. Moreover, dental implants match your natural teeth. Hence, nobody would be able to tell if you get dental implants unless you tell them.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Easy to eat: Unlike sliding dentures which make it hard to chew, dental implants on the other hand function just like your natural teeth. Thus, they allow you to eat all of your favorite foods without pain and confidence.
- Improved comfort: Since dental implants become a part of you, they eliminate any discomfort which removable dentures normally cause.
- Improved self-esteem: When you get dental implants, you will get back your natural smile and this will help improve your self-esteem.
- Improved speech: If you have experienced wearing poor-fitting dentures, then you might remember how the teeth used to slip within your mouth which causes you to slur or mumble your words, whereas, when it comes to dental implants, they allow you to speak perfectly without having to think about your teeth slipping away.
- Improved appearance: One of the main benefits of dental implants is the fact that they look and feel just like your own natural teeth. They become permanent because they have been designed to be fused with bone.
- Convenience: The thing about removable dentures is that they are removable. However, dental implants eliminate any inconvenience you might have faced due to having to remove dentures. Moreover, there is no need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
- Durability: Dental implants tend to be very durable and can easily last you many years. If you take good care of your dental implants, they could even last you a lifetime.
- Improved oral health: Unlike other dental procedures which require reducing your other teeth, dental implants can be easily placed without having to undergo any reduction. Since nearby teeth do not get altered for supporting the implant, your other teeth remain intact. This helps improve your overall long-term oral health. Furthermore, dental implants provide you with better access between teeth which also improves oral hygiene.
What Is The Success Rate of Dental Implants?
Now, when it comes to dental implants, their success varies depending on where in the jaw they are placed. However, normally dental implants offer a success rate of about 98%. If you take proper care of your dental implants, they will easily last you a lifetime.
Who Can Get Dental Implants?
Generally, anyone healthy enough for an oral surgery or routine dental extraction can consider getting dental implants. It is crucial that one has healthy gums and there is enough bone for holding the implant in place. Moreover, it is crucial for anyone considering dental implants to practice good oral hygiene. Regular dental visitors will help you maintain oral hygiene. However, heavy smokers, people suffering from uncontrolled chronic disorders like heart disease or diabetes, and patients that had radiation therapy in their neck/ head area need to be first evaluated before they can be considered for getting dental implants. This is why you need to speak with the dentist before thinking about dental implants.
Does Your Insurance Cover Dental Implants?
Normally, dental implants are not covered by dental insurance. It is possible to have a specific medical plan depending on your insurance plan and if you have experienced tooth loss. You will need to speak with your insurance coverage provider to get a better idea of whether your policy covers dental implants or not.
Is The Dental Implants Procedure Simple?
The procedure for getting dental implants is rather straightforward. The first step requires the development of an individualized plan which would address your needs. It is prepared by the dentist who will inform you about the best implant option as per your requirements. After the plan has been prepared, you will visit the dentist to get the tooth root implant placed in your bone socket. Once the jawbone heals, it would grow around the metal post implanted.