One may consider consulting a chiropractor in Singapore when symptomatic with painful joints and back problems that may have been caused by accidents, sports injuries, work procedures, household tasks, and everyday life stresses.
Chiropractic care may be beneficial when experiencing joint and muscle pains that hinder the performance of activities of daily living. It is also helpful in maintain the integrity of the spine and joint functions when these symptoms are still absent.
Individuals usually visit a chiropractor in Singapore because of chronic pains, neck pains, back pains, muscle strains and sprains, sports and work-related injuries, restrictions in the range of motions of joints, and even arthritis.
Like any other service provider though, a chiropractor has to be a perfect fit for the patient and his/her immediate family members. There are a lot of chiropractors and it may be difficult to select a practicing chiropractor in Singapore, so here are five things to learn before employing their care:
- Duties of a Chiropractor in Singapore
Prospective patients must note several duties that a chiropractor in Singapore has. Chiropractors assess the medical conditions of patients through a review of the patient’s pertinent medical history and related concerns. This is also done by performing a physical examination.
The chiropractor in Singapore then proceeds to assess and analyze the posture, spine structure, and reflexes of the patient.
Chiropractors can also recommend the conduct of postural tests and radiographical testing. They also provide neuromusculoskeletal therapies which often involve the adjustment of the spinal column and other joints of the patient.
Chiropractors can also advise additional basic treatments such as the application of heat or cold compresses to the injured areas and also advise on health-related lifestyle issues like nutrition, exercise, and sleeping habits.
And as situations call for, chiropractors in Singapore may also refer their patients to other healthcare professionals.
Remember that a chiropractor’s focus should be their patient’s overall health with the premise that a malfunction in spinal joints and somatic muscles can result in poor health by interfering with the patient’s neuromuscular functions.
- Benefits from Treatment Done by a Chiropractor in Singapore
Often, people seek the help of a chiropractor in Singapore due to pain. Chiropractic is a simple approach to healing that primarily involves spinal manipulation as the spine is the center of the musculoskeletal system and if it is not aligned, pain and discomfort can be felt in many ways. Thus, chiropractic care improves health by reducing pain.
But pain relief is not the only benefit that can be acquired with chiropractic care. Chiropractic aside from pain management can also improve:
- Functioning of the nervous system – The spine connects the nerves of the entire body to the brain. The nervous system controls all bodily functions from digestion issues to the way the immune system reacts. Misalignments of the spine can hamper the nervous system and a lot of changes in the body can occur. Chiropractic care improves the functioning of the nervous system and increases blood flow throughout the body. When interference is removed, the nervous system’s functionality to carry nerve signals to the brain improves thus enhancing the action of the whole body.
- ROM or Range of Motion – Even when not in pain, bodily joints, tissues, and ligaments still deteriorate and change over time. Through chiropractic done by a chiropractor in Singapore, the body can be manipulated to improve the range of motion. It improves mobility and reduces joint and cartilage deterioration in older years. Loosening tight muscles and addressing weaker muscles to strengthen them can also be achieved through chiropractic interventions.
- Digestion – the nervous system and the digestive system are linked. The nerves in the spine direct how the body digests food and the opposite (subluxations or spinal misalignments) is also true that it interferes with proper digestion. Gastrointestinal conditions like irritable bowel, diarrhea, constipation, and heartburn can be relieved with care from a chiropractor in Singapore.
- Immune system performance – As mentioned above, the nervous system, together with the endocrine system, plays a big influence on our immunity. Because it assists the way the nervous system works, chiropractic care therefore can strengthen the immune system and ward off germs.
- Sleep quality – Sleep is interfered with by even the most subtle spine misalignments. Regular spinal adjustments take away the strains and stresses on the bones and nerves, thereby promoting relaxation. In addition to this, healthy sleeping positions are advised as using a supportive mattress and pillow and not sleep on the stomach to feel better when sleeping.
People consulting with a chiropractor in Singapore need not be in pain to experience the benefits. Although treatment varies from one person to another, overall, patients see improved wellness with chiropractic care.
- Risks of the Care Given by a Chiropractor in Singapore
As dangerous and intimidating as they may appear, chiropractic procedures are in reality generally safe. Spinal manipulations that treat lower back pains are established to be harmless and effective in the hands of a properly-trained chiropractor in Singapore.
To stress its safety, fewer than 1 per a million per patient visits happened to have a serious adverse incident during spinal manipulation in the US. The risk remains to be higher when patients take common medications like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs than when undergoing chiropractic care. Some minor events do occur after treatments from a chiropractor in Singapore but are typically self-limiting and resolve within the next 48 hours.
The chiropractor in Singapore gives close attention to the patient’s health history and other co-existing conditions to further modify the treatment to best suit the patient.
A patient that has one of the following medical conditions are contraindicated to the high-velocity manipulation of the spine commonly performed:
- Osteoporosis, severe
- Multiple myeloma
- Bone tumors
- Osteomyelitis or spinal bone infections
- Bone deformities and fractures from Paget’s disease
- Arthritis (including rheumatoid, reactive, and psoriatic)
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Bleeding disorders
These conditions would simply imply that the certain patient has not been adequately examined or that the chiropractor in Singapore does not have the necessary training to carry out the treatment.
- Examinations Done by a Chiropractor in Singapore
During chiropractic examinations, the chiropractor will perform various procedures. These may include the conduct of a thorough medical history taking, taking of patient’s vital signs such as body temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure.
Chiropractic examinations include the visualization or inspection of the spine for spinal curves and other evident health indicators. The chiropractor in Singapore may use their hands to “feel” the spine, muscles, and other tissues that support it.
Tests that detect health issues relating to the spine, bones, muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons are also done. Moving joints and measurement of range of motion or ROM are also a part of orthopedic examinations.
The conduct of neurological examinations is also done to assess the motor, sensory and cranial nerves functions. This includes testing reflexes and numbness.
As the condition requires, the chiropractor may also refer the patient for diagnostic tests such as an x-ray or MRI. These tests may aid in coming up with a diagnosis for the patient’s primary complaints.
- Treatments Offered by a Chiropractor in Singapore
Chiropractors in Singapore use various types of therapies aside from spinal adjustments. Some common treatments that chiropractors recommend are:
- Therapeutic exercises and stretching
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation or TENS
- Manual soft tissue therapy
- Spinal traction
- Physiologic therapeutics such as ultrasound, laser
- Diet and nutrition counseling
- Certain lifestyle modifications
- Activity modifications
- Orthotics or shoe inserts that improve posture
These treatment modalities will be discussed in detail when you visit a chiropractor in Singapore.
Before employing the care of a chiropractor in Singapore, make sure to take note of the pros and cons and treatments offered when undergoing chiropractic care.